The Gaja Winery was founded by Giovanni Gaja in 1859 and has been owned and operated by five generations of the Gaja family. Giovanni Gaja was the great-grandfather of Angelo Gaja, the Winery's current owner.
In 1994, GAJA acquired its first wine estate in Tuscany, Pieve Santa Restituta in Montalcino. This estate produces three Brunello di Montalcino wines- including the single vineyard Sugarille- from vineyard holdings totaling sixty five acres.
In 1996 Gaja acquired a second property in Tuscany, Ca'Marcanda, located in Castagneto Carducci in Bolgheri. Of the property's 200 acres, 150 have been planted with new vineyards: primarily Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, as well as Cabernet Franc and Syrah.
Currently, the Gaja Winery owns 250 acres of vineyards in Piedmont, located in the Barbaresco district (Barbaresco and Treiso) and the Barolo district (Serralunga d'Alba and La Morra).
Since its inception, the Gaja Winery has continuously evolved in ways that have always focused on meticulous care of and attention to the quality of its wines.
For the GAJA press kit and media inquiries, please click here.
For Pieve Santa Restituta press kit and media Inquiries, please click here.
Gaja’s primary 250-acre estate is located in the Barbaresco and Barolo districts of Piedmont. In 1994 Gaja purchased its first wine estate in Tuscany, Pieve Santa Restituta, of which 40-acres are planted with Sangiovese and produce two Brunello di Montalcino wines. In 1996 Gaja acquired a second Tuscan property called Ca’Marcanda located in Castagneto Carducci in Bolgheri. The focus at Ca’Marcanda is on international grape varieties, and the estate’s 150-acres are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah vines.
The Gaja Winery was founded by Giovanni Gaja, great-grandfather of Angelo Gaja, in 1859 and has been owned and operated by four generations of the Gaja family.