Winegrowing came to South Africa in the middle of the 17th century, courtesy of the Dutch East India Company. The historic L’Ormarins wine farm was established not long afterwards in 1694. Until the early 19th century, most of the owners were from the French Hugeonot descent. The Rupert family purchased the estate in 1969, and continued the winemaking tradition.
In 2005, Johann Rupert assumed ownership of the family wine business and created the Anthonij Rupert winery, after his late brother. It was under the guidance of Johann that a complete overhaul of the estate was conducted, which resulted in one of the most state of the art wineries in South Africa.
The Anthonij Rupert Wines philosophy of matching variety to site, to produce the highest quality of fruit, with neither expense nor commitment spared to capture that quality in a bottle, guarantees a current portfolio of wines that are second to none. This philosophy was exemplified in the first Wine Spectator ratings, in which 3 of the 4 wines received 90+ratings.