The House of Angostura's award winning rums are steeped in nearly 200 years of tradition. The journey started in 1824 when founder Dr. Johann Siegert first produced aromatic bitters in Angostura, Venezuela (today called Ciudad Bolivar). In the 1870's, Dr. Siegert's three sons migrated to Trinidad, among them Don Carlos Siegert, who pioneered the brand, establishing Angostura aromatic bitters as an integral ingredient in premium cocktails and ultimately a mainstay of cocktail culture. The family's Siegert Bouquet Rum became a Trinidadian tradition up until the early 1960's and part of the company's rich rum heritage. In the 1970's, The House of Angostura expanded, acquiring the Fernandes family distillery, which was founded in the 1890's by Manoel Fernandes, an immigrant from Portugal, known for high quality rums.