The House of Angostura's award-winning rums are steeped in nearly 200 years of tradition. Dr. Johann Siegert first produced aromatic bitters in Angostura, Venezuela (today called Ciudad Bolivar) in 1824 to use as a tonic in his medical practice. In the 1870s, he and his three sons migrated to Trinidad, where they began to produce their aromatic bitters on a larger scale and add them to cocktails.
The bitters took hold in society as a popular cocktail ingredient, ultimately becoming a mainstay of Caribbean cocktail culture. The Siegert family also began producing an eponymous Bouquet Rum shortly after moving to Trinidad, which became a country-wide favorite and enriched the company's early rum heritage.
In the 1970s, the House of Angostura expanded by acquiring the Fernandes family distillery from Manoel Fernandes, a Portuguese immigrant to Trinidad, known for its high-quality rums. In 1985, the company received the Hummingbird Gold Medal, a national award recognizing their contribution to industry development in Trinidad and Tobago. Today, the House of Angostura is a global leader in rum production and regularly receives awards and recognition for its outstanding rums and bitters.